There is something so romantic about receiving a fresh arrangements of flowers from your loved one - especially on Valentine's Day! As Vera Wang notes "Flowers represent our inner emotions and transform the everyday into a special occasion. When receiving fresh flowers, it is important to know about basic maintenance and care in order to enjoy your gift to its fullest potential."
Indeed! Myself? I like an arrangement of roses much like the ones in the above image. To keep your flowers as long lasting as your love, keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Remove the outside guard petals. These petals were left on to protect the bloom during shipment.
- Cut 1 inch off the bottom of each stem with a sharp knife or floral scissors and remove any leaves that will come in contact with the water in the vase.
- Fill the vase with tepid water and add 1 packet of flower food.
- Be sure to keep your bouquet away from direct sunlight, drafty areas or high heat to insure a long life.
- To keep your bouquet fresh, re-cut the stems every few days and replace the water with fresh water.
Image via Vera Wang.